Discover where to eat well and cheap in Tenerife!
Are you going to visit Tenerife and don't know where to eat? In this article, we’ll show you the best places to eat good and cheap in the north of Tenerife and fill your stomach on your holidays in the paradise. Discover the Guachinches!
But what even is a Guachinche?
Guachinches are known as establishments in Tenerife where authentic Canarian dishes and home-grown wine are offered. In recent years, they’ve become more and more popular, as their value for money is unbeatable. Today, they’re the best option to eat cheap and well in Tenerife.
Where you can find the best guachinches in Tenerife
We can find them both in the north and in the south of Tenerife, but where they are most concentrated is in the north of Tenerife, in the municipality of La Orotava. In this list, we’ve included some of the best guachinches for you to discover where to eat well and cheaply in Tenerife.
1. Guachinche El Primero
- Location: North of Tenerife, Calle Malpais 10, in Santa Úrsula.
- Opening hours: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Sunday 12:30-16:30; Friday and Saturday 12:30-16:30 and 19:30-22:15.
It offers traditional dishes and homemade food at a very reasonable price in a setting rooted in the winegrower's origins. We recommend the cheese, fish churros, croquettes (croquetas) and fried eggs (huevos rotos or huevos estrellados). Don't miss the wine, the octopus and garbanzada.
2. Guachinche Los Gómez
- Location: North of Tenerife. Camino Los Gómez 21, La Orotava
- Opening hours: Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday closed; Thursday 11:30-23:00; Friday 10:30-23:30; Saturday 11:00-23:30; Thursday 9:00-23:00
This establishment is becoming increasingly popular. It’s large, well decorated, with plenty of space and excellent service. Their food and wine is very good. Also, we recommend the huevos estrellados, among other dishes.
3. Guachinche Casa Argelio
- Location: North of Tenerife. Camino las Gavias 105, in San Cristobal de La Laguna
- Opening hours: Monday and Tuesday closed; Wednesday and Thursday 9:00-17:00; Friday and Saturday 9:00-23:00; Sunday 9:00-17:00.
It’s one of the favourite places of the "chicharreros", as the people from Tenerife call themselves. We recommend booking in advance, since it’s a very popular establishment. The quality and presentation of the dishes will convince you.
4. Guachinche Parralito
- Location: North of Tenerife. Calle San Cristóbal 66, in La Matanza de Acentejo
- Opening hours: Monday and Tuesday closed; Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday 12:00 - 16:00; Sunday 11:30 - 16:00
This is a very traditional guachinche in a very typical Canarian house, with whitewashed walls and ceilings. It has few tables, but the few dishes on offer are spectacular.
5. Guachinche Nunca es Lejos
- Location: North of Tenerife. Calle Las Turcas, Prolongación Castaños, 60, in Santa Úrsula
- Opening hours: Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday 13:00-22:00; Tuesday closed; Sunday 13:00 - 17:00
We want to highlight this establishment in Tenerife for its familiar and cosy environment of Corujera and for its excellent wine. The grilled meat is also very tasty.
6. Guachinche Casa Yayi
- Location: North of Tenerife. Calle San José 10, La Matanza de Acentejo
The salted fish, fried eggs and "ropa vieja" are the highlights of their homemade food, although their wine and grilled meat are also very tasty.
7. Guachinche El Ramal
- Location: North of Tenerife. Carretera Enlace el Ramal, La Orotava
- Opening times: Monday and Tuesday closed; Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday 13:00-17:00, 19:00-23:00; Sunday 13:00-17:00
Typical Canarian dishes include grilled meat, croquettes, wine and desserts. With friendly staff, you shouldn’t miss this privileged place. It’s the perfect balance between quality, price, tradition and service.
Taste authentic Canarian food in Tenerifes guachinches
Thanks to the Guachinches de Tenerife, you can try local, homemade food accompanied by the best home-grown wine. Taste the best of Tenerife without spending a lot of money - the best value for money!
And if, apart from the best food in Tenerife, you’re looking for the best accommodation in Tenerife, we recommend the HD Parque Cristóbal Tenerife. More than a hotel, it’s a beautiful garden with more than 150 recently refurbished bungalows. It’s located in the south of Tenerife, in Playa de las Américas, and it’s perfect for families with kids to relax.